Friday, May 7, 2010

A Tribute to My Mom: (alternately titled) The Sandal Incident

Oh Anna. She is teaching me so much about little girls and just how I was as a little one. Brice, was so easy. Aside from his delivery, he has always wanted to please me, only putting up a fight when he was really opposed to something. He taught me a new kind of love, how to play and how to teach a person who is so eager to learn. Anna, she is teaching me patience and a different way to go about motherhood. Which is why I love her, of course. And, I think every mother could agree with me that each child that she has teaches her something different. I have never asked my mom this question but I do wonder what Blaire and I taught her.

And so, it was many years ago when my mom came to carpool to pick me up from St. Luke's preschool. Ms. Carr was my teacher's name, she had dark hair if I recall correctly. My mom was not only picking me up but a few little friends as well. She got us all into the car (not sure that she was even required to buckle us all into car seats...) and then I'm not sure if my sandal came off or unbuckled or what but...one tired little girl went into hysterics. The type where my mom couldn't help me but then I wanted help but if she got near me then I just got madder and I was pulling on the buckle/strap and screaming and thrashing with tears running down my face and red cheeks I'm sure. My mom recalls that all the friends in the car were looking at me as if I had lost my box of crayons for sure! And so, my mom who loved me even at that moment, closed the door, got in the car and drove us all home. And, I'm pretty sure once the car got above 35 mph, I was passed out cold. My mom probably went through many emotions in that five to ten minute episode: embarrassment, frustration, love, and then relief that I was asleep. And isn't that what motherhood is about? Many different emotions spread throughout the day. So many emotions that it makes your heart want to burst most times.

Thank you, Mom, for putting up with me that day and all the other bad days that I've had. Thank you for teaching me all that you have about being a mom myself. For listening and caring and just being there even though there were times I'm sure you wanted to walk out the door and go have a stiff drink! Thank you for doing all the mundane stuff like laundry, dishes, cooking, driving, and fixing stupid toys that you knew in a month you would just throw away. Thank you for taking care of us when we were "sick", physically or emotionally. Thank you for teaching us how to be ladies (not walking with our knees bent when wearing high heels; inside joke for Blaire), and how to step it up and not depend on a man for everything. There are so many more things that I am missing but my point is thank you!!! This motherhood thing is hard but so worth it in so many ways. I love you, Mom. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Below are pictures of my own Sandal Incident 26 years later...
I am not sure what the deal is but the girl does not like sandals. She wants her socks and tennis shoes on. I don't get it, but I know she is teaching me something...

2 comments:

Justin said...

Like Brice and I always say to each other when you and/or Anna are freaking out..."Girls are weird." :-)

Christine and Bob said...

You need to get the sandals that have squeakers in them. James loves his sandals. He was all upset the other day when I took the squeakers out to go to church. So yes I put them back in. Pretty sure the nursery workers hate me.

Background