Friday, August 19, 2011

Faking It


Here is Kyle in the bassinet I have used for all three of my babies.  Except, I've hardly used it for Kyle.  The truth is, I cannot sleep with my babies in the same room as me.  And, I don't think they sleep as well in the same room either.  So, for these pictures, we are Faking It!  That's right.  I have pictures of Brice and Anna in this same bassinet that my parents gave to us when I was pregnant with Brice and I couldn't not have pictures of Kyle in it as well.  After all, there is something so sweet and innocent and fresh and new about a little bitty thing in a white bassinet.  During my nesting phase with all three of them, this was one of my favorite things to set up and dream about.  A sweet little babe snoozing away all snug and cozy.  Of course, Anna was brought back into our room after her stay at CHOA and slept in the bassinet again.  In fact, when she was the age that Kyle is now, we were still in the ICU.  I thought about this the other night while rocking Kyle and teared up immediately at the thought of how tiny she was when she was so sick.  It is still amazing to me what her body went through and came out so strong.

Back to this baby though!  Kyle is doing really well.  He means business when he is hungry and has a nice loud cry to let us all know.  At the same time though when he has a tummy ache or is refluxing, his cry is just pitiful.  He has gone a couple of long stretches for me at night and I wake up at 2am feeling like I just got 8 hours sleep when all it's been is 4 hours but hey, I'll take it.  There are also nights when he is up like clockwork every 2-3 hours.  Ugh.  I have fallen asleep in the glider a few times and woken up to him fast asleep in my arms as well!  He loves to be snuggled or swaddled when he's ready to go to sleep.  I am learning his cues as to when he's ready for a nap and I wrap him up and rock him and try to cherish these moments with him. 

The other night I laid down in bed and started to say my prayers and I usually start my prayer with a "Thank you for this day and everything it taught me..." so I did the same this night and then I prayed that I would remember these days because they are so fleeting.  As much as I want Kyle to be sleeping through the night and for me not to be so grumpy, I know I will wish I could remember each of these days when my babies were tiny and the weight of them on my chest as they slept was the best feeling in the world. I try to enjoy Kyle in the middle of the night when it's just the two of us and I don't have one of the other two asking me questions or singing me songs or...

So, the bassinet days are over already and Kyle is a big boy sleeping in his crib.  Like this...


3 comments:

Janna said...

we're such good NICU mom's....sleeping on their belly with bumpers in the crib :)
it does go to fast and its funny how you forget...enjoy him...he's precious

Nicole said...

what a sweet boy

Kelly said...

So, so cute :-) And I tried Jack sleeping in the room with me too. The first night he slept in his crib was the first night we actually all got some sleep. Not for me either but the bassinet sure is cute!

Background